Whether you’re already working through an Agency, Umbrella Company or are looking to become self-employed, Brookson have helped over 70,000 self-employed professionals over the last 19 years, from a wide range of industries and sectors.
Employment with our Umbrella Company offers a simple, compliant and low risk alternative to setting-up and running your own company to minimise the administrative workload and keep you safe by providing everything you need, from same day payment to claiming reimbursed expenses.
Free advice on working through an Umbrella Company
If you would like to understand more about working through an Umbrella Company and how it will affect you financially or would like to find out how Brookson compares to other umbrella companies, then you will find our free, no obligation consultation and take home pay comparison really helpful.
Simply make an enquiry, telling us the sector you work in, your annual income or agency rate, hours per week and any business expenses you incur - and we'll do the rest.
How does an Umbrella Company work?
If you choose to work through an Umbrella Company, you become an employee of that company. It then contracts out your services to the end client or agency. You will need to submit timesheets to the Umbrella Company who will in turn invoice the end client or agency for the work that you have carried out. The umbrella company will then pay you directly after retaining monies including; the Umbrella Company margin and tax and National Insurance contributions on a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) basis.
You remain an employee of the umbrella company regardless of whether you move to a new assignment, start a project with a new end client or agency or are temporarily between assignments.
Why work through an Umbrella Company?
In terms of administration, there is none. As an employee, it is all taken care of for you. The Umbrella Company will, however, retain a margin from the revenue it receives for providing your services and pay employers NIC on your salary. This is why, if you are working via an agency, they may offer you a higher rate of pay if you wish to become an employee of an umbrella company than if you were to be paid via the agency payroll.
- Ease of setup & use - Quick & easy set up and running in minutes. Simply submit your timesheets and expenses. Holiday pay and insurance is included.
- Low risk - All tax and NI is automatically deducted so no need to worry about Tax Returns or budgetary spend.
- Length of assignment - Suitable for any period of working; short or long term contracts. A good choice if you are working intermittently.
- Expenses - The ability to claim back certain expenses such as travel, subsistence, tools and equipment etc.
Benefits of Brookson's Umbrella Company Solution
Unlike some other Umbrella Companies who may retain additional margin for same day payments, Brookson provide everything you need for one weekly margin.
- Same day payments with SMS notifications
- Fast and effective set up in minutes
- No set up costs
- Manage your timesheets, payslips and expenses 24/7 via your online portal
- Friendly, expert support team on hand 6 days a week†
- Access to an Employee Discounts Scheme
- £25m comprehensive insurance package
- Multiple payroll runs daily - so you get paid on time, every time
- Known for compliance – Brookson were founding members of the FCSA
- Claim tax relief on business expenses
- Receive same day payroll calculations and payment schedule of funds into your bank account, with our CHAPS Payment service.
- Be right up to date with SMS notifications of payments received into your bank account.
- No more nasty surprises with all tax and National Insurance deducted at source and passed to HMRC.
- Claim tax relief on your business expenses with our Expenses Review and Claim Validation service.
- Raise invoices at the click of a button.
- Benefit from comprehensive insurance at no additional cost – £2m Professional Indemnity, £5m Public Liability and £25m Employers’ Liability.
- Legal helpline, with access to free preliminary legal support including, litigation, regulation, insolvency, pensions, intellectual property and debt recovery.
- Gap Pay between assignments and Minimum Guaranteed Hours*.
- Relax, with holiday pay accounted for in your weekly income.
- Health and Safety taken care of with a review completed for each assignment.
- Receive expert advice and support to help understand your working options.
- Support from our Specialist Team – six days a week†, plus 24/7 access to your accounts.
- Take advantage of our exclusive Employee Discount Scheme – save hundreds of pounds every year on your household expenditure, from groceries to holidays!
- Work finding services - helping you to secure your next assignment.
Free guide to working through an Umbrella Company
This guide is ideal for anyone considering working through an umbrella company. It provides a jargon free overview of the Brookson Umbrella solution, along with the key benefits.
Download Our FREE Guide
Request a callback to discuss our all-inclusive Umbrella Company Solution
Fill in the form below and one of our advisors will be in touch.
"I have been with Brookson since the beginning of 2011. I have always found the staff very helpful and efficient. Working through Brookson's umbrella company makes everything really easy. I have recommended Brookson to a number of colleagues in the past and will continue to do so in the future."
† Specialist Advisors available six days a week, Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm.